Senior Lounge Update

Senior Lounge Update 09.12.18

Dear NHC members, 

Progress on the file has been slow but steady. We still don’t have all the information we need to move forward decisively but things are gradually coming into focus.

The Club continues to press its insurance company for the settlement offer.  Our broker informed us that the delays this past week were due to vacations of key people working on the file.

Nonetheless, the Club met with the North Hatley town manager and building inspector on Thursday.  The meeting was generally positive and constructive as the Town both expressed a willingness to be as helpful as possible within the constraints of the law and confirmed requirements for the Senior Lounge to be re-built on the same footprint. 

However, the Town was doubtful the Senior Lounge could be re-built by June 2019, regardless of whether such requirements are met.  It cited delays associated with the permitting process as the main reason a rebuild is unlikely within this timeframe.

In light of information provided during the meeting, the Board is now seeking professional opinions to properly assess its options. 

We did receive the staking certificate from our surveyor and are now in a position to draw up architectural plans of the options we identify. 
Thank you for your continued support of your North Hatley Club. 

Jonathan Elkas, Vice-PresidentFor the Board of Directors

Senior Lounge Update

Senior Lounge Update 25.11.18

Dear NHC members,

Classic rockers Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers once intoned that “the waiting is the hardest part”.

Well, that’s our soundtrack for “the week that was” on the Senior Lounge file as we continue to wait for the final report from our insurance company, Intact.

On Monday November 19th, Robert Charest met with a building evaluator mandated by Intact to assess the value of the Club’s property.  The evaluator advised that his report to Intact could take up to two weeks to produce.  We therefore expect Intact’s report to follow in early December.

Our insurance broker has assured us that these timeframes are normal.

Once we receive a settlement amount from Intact, we’ll assess our options.  We plan to formally engage the Town of North Hatley before year to discuss the Project and, more specifically, whether we can re-build on the same footprint.

There have been no significant developments on the Design & Build front.  In keeping with our theme for this week, we continue to wait for the staking certificate from our surveyor for purposes of drawing up architectural plans.  In any event, the plans are on hold until we meet with the Town.

We will continue to update you on key developments as new information becomes available.

Suggestions, comments and/or questions about the Project can be emailed to or to Brian Patterson directly at

As always, we appreciate your continued support of your North Hatley Club.

Jonathan Elkas, Vice-President

For the Board of Directors