Blue Massawippi held an important information session at the Lively Lecture series on Thursday at the Club. Many of you were not able to attend so I’m writing to you on this very urgent and important matter.
- Of all the lakes in the region, Lake Massawippi has the highest probability of significant infestation due to its high pH level.
- Zebra mussels have already been discovered in Lake Memphremagog. Lake Champlain is infested!
- Zebra mussels would most probably arrive on our lake on boats, from other lakes, that have not been properly washed.
- Zebra mussels in our lake would result in a “dead” lake….no fish, crystal clear in some portions of the lake, but due to this clear water, SIGNIFICANT acceleration of weed growth in other parts of the lake.
- Significant increases in taxes on properties surrounding the lake, as water intakes around the lake get plugged with mussels.
- Significant declines of at least 20% in property values, based on studies of other regions in Canada.
Among a whole variety of pre-emptive Blue Massawippi undertakings, a mobile washing station has been purchased several weeks ago. We need to raise $40,000 to pay for it and staff, and related costs.
If you would like some more information on this issue, please get in touch with me.
If you would like to make a donation, please do so and send your cheque
North Hatley, P.Q.
or contribute online
Thanks in advance for your consideration,